Local Organic Roasted Carrot & Split Pea Soup
With Moorish spices, Fairwinds Farm Goat yogurt, Toasted fennel oil and mint
- 2 kg Organic Poplar Bluff farm carrots
- 350 g diced yellow onion
- 100 g diced shallot
- 50 g garlic smashed and chopped
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 15g toasted ground cumin
- 8g toasted and crushed coriander seed
- 8g toasted and ground fennel seeds
- 75g chopped preserved lemon
- 6g chipotle pepper from adobo minced (we like to make our own in the restaurant)
- 150 g yellow organic split peas
- 4 L water
- Peel, half and quarter carrots, toss with ¼ c olive oil, salt and pepper. Place in cast iron pan, roast for about 1hr @ 400 stir every 20 min. (We usually like to roast in our wood oven to add a nice smoky flavor, but a conventional oven will do fine). Carrots should be well roasted and slightly caramelized when finished.
- Sweat onion, shallot, garlic and olive oil in a pot until onions are translucent (no color).
- Add cumin, coriander seed, fennel seeds, lemon and chipotle pepper to onion mix. Sweat for 2 min to cook out flavours.
- Add yellow organic split peas, 4 L or water and pre-roasted carrots. Simmer all together with lid for about 2-3 hrs or until split peas are all tender. Add more water if needed
- Finish with juice of 2 lemons. Soup should equal 5 L when finished.
- Season and blend using hand mixer, leaving slightly chunky to enjoy the soft texture of the carrots and spices.
- Ladle into bowls, garnish with a spoon of Fairwinds Farm Goat yogurt, a drizzle of Fennel Seed Oil and a few strands of sliced mint.
Seared Albacore Tuna Pickled Cucumber & Wild Rice Furikake
Step 1: Marinate the tuna
1lb Albacore tuna loin
1 c mirin
1 c soy
1 c sesame oil
3 T fresh chili powder
Step 2: Bread & Butter pickled Gull Valley Cucumber
¼ c salt
1 L White wine vinegar
2 C sugar
1 T mustard seeds
1 t celery seeds
1 large English cucumber
Step 3: Wild Rice And Furikake
30 g kale leaves dried
8 sheets nori
10 g bonito
60 g sesame
20 g dried tomato chips
60 g puffed wild rice
Sear tuna cube in hot cast iron pan on 1 side only for 20 seconds. Place cucumber on skewer followed by tuna cube, then role in Furikake blend and serve to guests.
- Mix liquids and chili powder
- Slice Albacore tuna into large 2cm cubes
- Marinate tuna with splashes of the dressing and let sit 1 hour
- combine & simmer brine 5 minutes
- peel cucumber and slice into cubes to match tuna
- Marinate in cold pickling liquid for 3-4 min
- Toast nori sheets and hand chop fine
- Hand chop puffed rice into small fine pieces
- Crumble kale with hands carefully into another bowl …and remove any hard
- dried stems
- Toast sesame seeds until golden and add into mix
- Hand chop all remaining bonito and tomato then add to mix
Spiced Sugar Cookies
3 cups Highwood Crossing All-Purpose White Flour
1 1/3 cup Shelled Walnuts, Toasted and Ground
3 tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp Ground Nutmeg
½ tsp Ground Cloves
½ tsp Kosher Salt
1 cup White Sugar
1 cup Brown Sugar
1 cup Unsalted Butter, Softened
2 Organic Eggs
2 tsp Vanilla
2 Organic Egg Whites
1 tsp Water
1 cup Turbinado Raw Sugar
- Pre heat the oven to 325°F.
- Mix flour, nuts, baking powder, nutmeg, cloves, salt and ½ of the cinnamon.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla to the sugar.
- Add flour mixture to the sugar.
- Chill and then roll and cut.
- Whisk the egg whites and the water.
- Mix the turbinado sugar and the remaining cinnamon.
- Brush the egg white and water mixture onto the cookies and sprinkle with the sugar.
- Bake for 10 – 12 minutes at 325ºF.
Cranberry & Pumpkin Seed Sugar Cookie
The addition of pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries gives this traditional sugar cookie recipe a twist.
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups Highwood Crossing organic flour
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds chopped
1/4 cup dried cranberries chopped
Cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla. Mix until fully combined. Scrape the bowl down and mix at medium speed for about 30 seconds. Add the flour, pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries and mix on low speed until a soft dough forms. Wrap and chill for an hour.
Roll 1/8 inch thick, cut into desired shape and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake at 325 degrees F for 6-8 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown.
Yield: 3 dozen small cookies
8 oz Highwood Crossing oats
8 oz Highwood Crossing flour
8 oz Vanilla sugar
11 oz Butter, cold and cubed
2 c Highwood Crossing Oats
1 tsp Salt
- Grind the 8 oz of oats into flour.
- Mix the flour, sugar, salt, oat flour, oats and butter until the mix just comes together.
- Roll out to ½ inch thickness and cut out into desired shapes.
- Bake at 350° F for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Dust with sugar after the cookies come out of the oven.