Grass Finished Beef Tartare
4 0z cleaned sirloin steak
1 T capers
1/2 T grainy mustard
1 T shallots minced
1 T chives finely chopped
1 T parsley finely chopped
1 pickled Serrano pepper or red chile
1 egg yolk
Using a sharp knife, mince steak keeping extremely cold
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients into beef
Season with sea salt & fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Serve with crunchy crostini toast
Chefs Tip: This is an easy to make great summer dish. Purchase the high quality grass finished beef from your butcher. Delicious served with caper aioli.
Grilled Silver Sage Flank Steak & Saskatoon Berry BBQ Sauce
- 1 lb Silver Sage Flank Steak
- Fresh Saskatoon Berries
- 1¼ c buckwheat honey
- ½ c rice vinegar
- ¼ c soy sauce
- 3 c saskatoon berries
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1T fennel seeds
- 1T chopped garlic
- 1t chipotle pepper, ground
- 1t fresh coriander berries
- 2t fresh ginger
- 4 cloves
- 1t ground black pepper
2T lime juice
Saskatoon Berry BBQ Sauce:
- Combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and purée smooth in a blender.
- Place in refridgerator for 2-3 hours.
- Flank steak is a thin cut and it cooks very fast. It is best served medium for optimum tenderness and flavour. The steak needs to be quickly grilled over very intense heat. Charcoal barbeques work best, but a conventional barbeque will do. Get the grill very very hot.
- Grill steak about 1-2 minutes per side (looking for a nice char on both sides).
- Wrap the steak in foil and rest for 7-8 minutes to allow juices to be retained.
Albacore Tuna Crudo & Rhubarb Ponzu
- Albacore Tuna loin (purchase the freshest you can find)
- 1 cup rhubarb juiced
- 1 lemon (juice & zest)
- 2 limes (juice & zest)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup soy
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1 stalk lemon grass, bruised and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 tsp ginger sliced
- 5 g bonito
- Caramelize sugar in pot
- Deglaze with lemon & lime juices
- Add zest
- Simmer 5 minutes or until reduced by half
- Add remaining ingredients and stir
- Simmer 5 minutes until reduced by 1/4
- Strain and chill
- Slice Albacore tuna into 1/4 inch thick pieces
- Spoon rhubarb ponzu generously over tuna
Enjoy this dish with your favorite summer salad!
2 pounds of fresh rhubarb, cleaned and chopped
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 T organic corn syrup
1 1/2 T lemon juice
- Place all of the ingredients in a pot and cook on medium heat until the rhubarb starts to fall apart. This should take 10-15 minutes. Place the cooked rhubarb into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pass the contents through a mesh bowl strainer and chill in the refridgerator.
- Add the sorbet to your ice cream machine and churn until it looks like soft serve ice cream. Remove from the ice cream machine and place into food storage container. Cover it with a lid and freeze for 4 hours or overnight.
- Scoop as much as you like and enjoy!
2 cups of Highwood Crossing unbleached flour
1/2 cup of Highwood Crossing rolled oats
3/4 cup of brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon of salt
3/4 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
2 large free range eggs
1 cup of Vital Green organic buttermilk
2 cups of washed and chopped rhubarb
3 ounces of Foothills unsalted butter (melted)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the flour, oats, sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Whisk eggs and buttermilk together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add the chopped rhubarb into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and use your hand to gently fold this together. Just mix until it comes together. It is okay if there are dry spots. Add the melted butter and continue to mix with your hand just until it comes together. Be careful not to over mix as this will produce hard muffins.
- Scoop into paper lined muffin pan and bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from the muffin pan when they come out of the oven and place on a wire rack to finish cooling. Keep in an air tight container or freeze and enjoy later on.
Yields 12 muffins